Understanding the DV court
Recently our office helped organise a legal education session with a local Magistrate on the Gold Coast. The subject was ‘Understanding the Domestic Violence Court’.
The event was a great success with approximately 63 practitioners in attendance.
During this session the following topics were raised –
- Offences under the Domestic Violence Act (DV Act);
- The extraordinary number of hearings being listed in the new domestic violence court and the impact this has on waiting periods;
- What practitioners can dot to minimalise these extensive waiting periods;
- Voluntary Intervention courses and how the court will take these into account;
- Temporary Protection Orders; and
- The strict processes for filing
We very much appreciate those who attended, particularly Magistrate Strofield who took the time out of his busy schedule to present this topic!