Skip to main content

A restricted licence or work licence enables you to drive solely for work purposes if you have been convicted of a drink driving or drug driving offence. Applying and seeking approval for a Work Licence under section 87 is a complex process and you need to ensure you meet a large number of conditions, and that all documentation is properly prepared and correctly submitted.

If unsuccessful, there is no opportunity to appeal the decision, so it is very important that you seek the advice of a Specialist Traffic Lawyer.

To be eligible for a work licence, you must meet a number of strict and very specific criteria.  These include, but are not limited to :

  • Being a current QLD driver licence holder at the time of the offence,
  • Satisfying the court that you are a ‘fit and proper’ person to continue driving,
  • You blood alcohol level was below 0.15%
  • Losing your licence will mean losing your job and result in extreme hardship to you and your family
  • You have not been convicted for drink driving, dangerous driving or had any prior cancellations or suspensions of your licence,
  • You were not driving in connection with your employment at the time of the offence,
  • You were under 25 years of age and driving under a learner, provisional or probationary licence,
  • You were unlicenced, and
  • Other criteria as deemed appropriate for the circumstances.

You cannot get a work licence if you are unemployed and looking for work, if you intend to use the license for household errands and regular family transport, or your employer can offer you another position that does not require you to hold a drivers licence.

You must apply immediately after you have pleaded guilty or been found guilty and before the Magistrate orders the disqualification period.  

If you are granted a work licence, the Magistrate can order that it be subject to special conditions, for example :

  • the class of vehicle which may be driven,
  • the purpose for which a vehicle may be driven,
  • the days and times a vehicle may be driven,
  • that you keep a log book,
  • that you wear a uniform, and if applicable
  • that you have no passengers.

If you require a Work Licence and need to submit a Work Licence (s87) Application , it is very important to seek the advice of a specialist Traffic Lawyer to ensure you meet all the criteria and that the documentation is completed and submitted properly and within the set time frames. 

Howden Saggers Lawyers are experts in Traffic Law and related offences, and we have been assisting people on the Gold Coast and Brisbane since 2002.

We can tell you what your options are and advise you of the best course of action.

We are on your side.

Leave a Reply